The History of the descendents of Vincenzo d'Onofrio, and related families
These pages were developed by Jeff Donofrio, containing information that I have collected over the last 20 years on the family history of the d'Onofrio family from San Potito Ultra, Italy.
Meanings of the Family Names
Emmigration, Immigration, and Ships
Areas and Regions of historical interest
Information on the History and Royalty of the Two Sicilies
Religion & Churches
DNA & Genetics
- Roman Catholic religion - Wikipedia entry on Roman Catholicism
The Church in San Potito Ultra, Italy, around 1900.
- Churches - Joseph Donofrio and Lucy Caggiano were married in the Chiesa di San Gioacchino, or Church of Saint Joachim, which was located at 22-24 Roosevelt Street. The church and road are no longer in existence, and were torn down in 1961 to make way for Chatham Green Houses (public housing projects).
St. Mary's Church, Dover, New Jersey, the church of Pasquale Donofrio family while in Dover.
- St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Wharton/Dover, NJ
St. Cecilia's Church, Rockaway, New Jersey, the church of Joseph Donofrio family while in Rockaway.
- St. Cecilia's Church, Rockaway, NJ
- Burial sites and graves
- Saint Onuphrius (4th or 5th Century) The d'Onofrio family's surname is named after this Saint. This Saint led to the Italian name Onofrio. D'Onofrio is son of Onofrio. In Spanish, the saint is referred to as San Onofre.
- San Potito The town where the d'Onofrio's originated was named after this child Saint.
- Saint Cecilia The church many Donofrios attended was named after this saint.
- Saint Clare of Assisi or Saint Clare of Montefalco The hospital many Donofrios were born in was named after this saint.
For information on genealogical uses of genetics and DNA, click here.
Wars that may have involved ancestors:
Sources & some interesting articles:
Website created by Jeff Donofrio.
Copyright 2009. Jeff Donofrio.
Last updated October 2009. Please do not distribute without permission.